Please note the Hall itself is not open to the public but the gardens and nursery are. Access to the gardens and nursery remains free.
"Moderate alterations have so defaced the tower which John Corbet occupied in the time of Henry VI, that few traces of it are now observable: and the slashed and stone mullioned windows, put into it by the Fenwicks, are patched with bundles of clouts and straw, or are opened to the owls and daws. It is not , however, entirely tenantless. A person, who earns a livlehood out of its sunny and well walled gardens, lives in a part of it: a little shop is kept in another: a. third portion of it is converted into a poorhouse; and the rest of its rooms are either unoccupied or only occasionally used as granaries. Some of the rooms are wainscoted with high panels and broad stiles painted an imitation marble; and others hung with tattered tapestry." - Source 1
Other information from reference 1 indicates that Stanton Hall in the reign of Charles II was haunted by Veitch, the Covenanter, who also stayed at Harnharn Hall. Reference to the Hall and Veitch is also made in reference 2. It appeared that Veitch moved from Harnarn to Stanton in May 1677. He narrowly escaped being taken there on one occasion, but "got into a hole within the the lining of a great window which had been made on purpose, for the whole room was lined about with wainscot."
Reference 2 was published in 1897 and it indicated that at that time the Hall was partly occupied by a blacksmith.
The modern extension, with lean-to-roof is in +act converted byres. The bathroom tiles and plaster hide the marks of feeding baskets and water bowls.
The main entrance under the corbels (see Peter Ryder's description later.) is the current connecting door between the "Banqueting Hall" and the kitchen serving it. The "Banqueting Hall" was roofed and re-windowed in 1978, in time to provide the reception for over 100 guests at the present owners wedding.
The present private sitting room on the other side of the cross wall to the large hall contains as large a fireplace as that in the Hall. Several years ago the walls and ceiling were stripped of the cladding boards to reveal some magnificent beams in the ceiling, another small fire place, and a doorway into the rear byre. The latter two items have been closed up by converting them into alcoves in a now comfortable sitting room.
Various references indicate the presence of a village in the surrounding area. The various stones and racks, and coins, unearthed in digging confirm this. The south end of the garage is composed of red bricks. This is believed to be part of the garden wall which extended east - west to the house. Similar bricks formed part of the southern end of the extension with the lean-to-roof, but are now faced with stone in the renovation.
In 1972 the Evening Chronicle produced an article on Stanton Hall. It started "(it) is a bit like Orwell's "Animal Farm" after the animals took over". This referred to the many byres for the animals. The following was also printed:
In Henry VIII's reign Sir Ralph Fenwick, High Sheriff of Northumberland, lived in the tower and the Fenwick family occupied Stantan Hall for almost 200 years until 1730.
Williarn Fisher of Kestern was hanged in what now is the garden, for the murders of Gilbert Farnley and Stephen Coniscliff. Oliver Cromwell is supposed to have spent a night at Stanton and a Duke of Argyll was in hiding there."
It appears that back in 1278 one, Adam de Selby, due to take up a Knighthood, named Stanton as surety. This, and the other items in the newspaper, was identified by Chris's mother, May Dentice. When she and her husband came back from New Zealand, their stay at Stanton Hall was a temporary measure until they found something more suitable - that was in 1948.
Which brings us up to the present day and Chris still lives here. Over the last 30 years he and his wife Claire have done up the Hall entirely by themselves apart from the help of Claire's parents.
Source/Reference 1: T.H.Rowland - Medieval Castles, Towers, Peles and Bastles of Northumberland (1987 page70) - Source/Reference 2: W.W.Tomlison - Comprehensive Guide to Northumberland (1897 page 273).
Following the government's announcement last night and additional measures put in place we are sad to inform all our ...
Due to the latest goverment advise we will be remaining closed untill further notice. Please do not travel to the gardens or ...